Welcome to the Bremen Cemetery. 60+ acres where nature and people coexist amid an active rural community. Our goal is to provide a serene, beautiful, and safe environment where visitors can peacefully visit past relatives and/or friends.
The true history of the Bremen Cemetery is enshrouded in mystery. Some accounts state that the cemetery started as a small church cemetery behind the 1st Lutheran church in Bremen. Others state that it was behind the 1st church of the Brethren sometime in the early 1800's.
We do know that an old building's foundation was discovered in the southeast area of the present cemetery. It is said that the cemetery was turned over to German Township after the church moved and finally the town of Bremen took possession of the cemetery in the early 1930's.
Before 1930 there were no written records of any burials in the cemetery but after an exhaustive recording and reading survey by the town of Bremen and the Marshall County Historical Society, new light has been shed on older burials and a far more up-to-date list has been compiled. Burials once thought lost are now recorded on a modern computer program at the Town Hall and also are available at the Bremen Public Library.
The mausoleum-chapel project is a much needed and attractive addition to the Bremen cemetery. The mausoleum containing 192 crypts and 70 cremation niches offers an affordable alternative to underground burial. The growing popularity of mausoleums is explained by the preference of many people for the clean, dry and ventilated crypts that mausoleums provide.
The beautiful chapel can be used, not only for mausoleum interment services, but also for graveside services during inclement weather, or any other time if desired. The dignified and serene setting of the chapel is very comforting.
The Bremen mausoleum-chapel was constructed by the Gibraltar Mausoleum Co. of Indianapolis, one of the nation's largest and most experienced builders of mausoleums. The mausoleum is constructed of reinforced concrete, with imported Italian marble and granite crypt covers. Information regarding crypt and niche costs and chapel use can be obtained at the Clerk's office at the Bremen Town Hall or by calling (574) 546-2471 M-F 8am-5pm.
BREMEN CEMETERY RULES
1. ALL MARKERS SHALL BE PLACED WITH THE FRONT SIDE THEREOF FLUSH WITH THE WEST LOT LINE OF ANY GRAVE AND FLUSH WITH THE GROUND AND THERE SHALL NOT BE MORE THAN ONE MARKER ON EACH GRAVE. THE TERM “MARKER” AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEEMED TO MEAN ANY HEAD OR GRAVE IDENTIFICATION OF BRONZE, GRANITE, MARBLE, STONE AND THE LIKE.
2. THE GRANTOR HEREBY EXPRESSLY AGREES TO KEEP AND MAINTAIN A COMPLETE PERMANENT RECORD OF THE TITLE TO ALL GRAVES AND LOTS IN SAID CEMETERY AND THE GRANTOR COVENANTS THAT SAID REAL ESTATE IS FREE AND CLEAR OF ALL LIENS AND ENCUMBRANCES.
3. THE ABOVE NAMED GRANTEES, THEIR HEIRS, SUCCESSORS, AND ASSIGNS ARE HEREBY GIVEN A PERPETUAL RIGHT TO THE FREE USE OF THE PASSAGE WAYS OF THE ENTIRE CEMETERY TOGETHER WITH THE RIGHT TO USE THE OTHER FACILITIES THAT ARE NOW OR MAY HEREAFTER BE ERECTED IN SAID CEMETERY FOR USE BY OWNERS OF REAL ESTATE WITHIN SAID CEMETERY OR THE GENERAL PUBLIC, PROVIDED THAT ANY USER THEREOF SHALL SO DO AS NOT TO INTERFERE WITH THE RIGHTS OF OTHER OWNERS OF REAL ESTATE THEREIN AND CONSISTENT WITH THE RULES AND REGULATIONS NOW OR HEREAFTER ADOPTED RESPECTING THE MAINTENANCE, OPERATION, AND CONTROL OF SAID CEMETERY.
4. THE SAID TOWN AGREES THAT IT WILL APPROPRIATE ANNUALLY NOT LESS THAN TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT (25%) OF THE GROSS RECEIPTS FROM THE SALE OF ALL CEMETERY LOTS SOLD EACH YEAR, SAID FUND TO CONSTITUTE A PERPETUAL CARE FUND FOR THE USE OF THE ENTIRE CEMETERY, THE INTEREST THEREON TO BE APPLIED SOLELY TO THE REPAIR AND CARE OF THE GRAVES AND LOTS HEREBY CONVEYED, LOTS SAID SOLD OR UNSOLD, PASSAGEWAYS, BUILDINGS, BEAUTY SPOTS, LAWNS, AND PUBLIC GROUNDS IN SAID CEMETERY, AND SUCH FUND SHALL NEVER UNDER ANY PRETEXT OF EVASION BE DIVERTED FROM THIS DECLARED PURPOSE AND SHALL BE KEPT UNIMPAIRED.
5. NO MARKERS, CONCRETE APRONS, FLOWER VASES, MONUMENTS OR PLANTING OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER SHALL BE SET OR INSTALLED UNTIL THE APPROVAL OF THE CEMETERY AUTHORITY HAS BEEN GIVEN CONSISTENT WITH THE TERMS HEREOF.
6. ALL MONUMENT FOUNDATIONS SHALL BE CONSTRUCTED OF CONCRETE AND SHALL EXTEND A MINIMUM OF THIRTY (30) INCHES BELOW GRADE. FOUNDATIONS SHALL BE ERECTED DURING REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS (7 AM – 4 PM M-F) UNLESS PROPER APPROVAL IS OBTAINED IN ADVANCE BY PROPER AUTHORITY.
7. THE CEMETERY BOARD SHALL HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DESIGNATE A SPECIAL SECTION RESERVED FOR BURIAL OF INFANTS (DEFINED AS CHILDREN UNDER TWO YEARS OF AGE) AND TO ADOPT RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THAT SECTION. AN INFANT GRAVE SHALL BE ONE-FOURTH THE SIZE OF A REGULAR GRAVE AND ALL MARKERS SHALL BE SIX (6) INCHES BY TEN (10) INCHES WITH A THREE INCH WASH BORDER AND SHALL BE FLUSH WITH THE GROUND.
8. NO GLASS ORNAMENTS OR CONTAINERS OF ANY KIND WILL BE ALLOWED.
9. ABSOLUTELY NO AGGREGATE, CRUSHED STONE OR LOOSE MATERIAL SHALL BE PLACED ON THE LOTS.
10. ORNAMENTS WHICH CONSTITUTE NUISANCES TO THE PROPER MAINTAINING OF THE CEMETERY GROUNDS MAY BE REMOVED BY THE CEMETERY SUPERINTENDENT. SUCH ORNAMENTS INCLUDE: PLASTIC ANIMALS, PLASTIC FENCES, PLASTIC FLOWERS, PLASTIC LAWN ORNAMENTS, WIRE BASKETS AND URNS, OR ANY SUCH MATERIALS THAT COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE IF THROWN FROM MOWING EQUIPMENT. THE SURFACE OF THE LAWN SHALL BE KEPT CLEAR OF ALL OBSTRUCTIONS WHICH WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE CARE OF THE LAWN AND THE VIEW OF THE LANDSCAPE.
11. ALL SHRUBS AND PLANTINGS OF ANY NATURE MUST BE LOCATED ON THE ENDS OF MONUMENTS OR MARKERS, AND MUST BE IN LINE OF THE SURFACES OF SUCH MONUMENTS. NO PLANTINGS SHALL BE ALLOWED TO GROW SO AS TO EXTEND OVER THE LINES OF THE OWNERS CEMETERY LOTS AS ORIGINALLY PURCHASED. THE CEMETERY PERSONNEL SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY SUCH PLANTINGS THAT THEY DEEM ARE IN VIOLATION, OR ANY SHRUBS THAT ARE LEFT TO GROW RAMPANT CREATING AN UNSIGHTLY APPEARANCE TO THE LANDSCAPE.
12. ALL TREE AND SHRUB TRIMMINGS SHALL BE REMOVED FROM THE CEMETERY GROUNDS AND NOT LEFT ON THE LOT, ALONG DRIVES OR PILED IN AND AROUND TRASH BARRELS. DUMPSTERS ARE LOCATED AT THE NORTH END OF DRIVE 5 FOR THE DISPOSAL OF SUCH TRIMMINGS, BAGGED OR BULKY ITEMS.
13. NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE CEMETERY FROM 4:00 PM – 7:00 AM UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. PAST VANDALISM HAS FORCED THE TOWN TO CREATE THIS RULE FOR THE PROTECTION OF EVERYONE’S PROPERTY.
14. ALL ARTIFICIAL FLOWER ARRANGEMENTS MUST EITHER BE MOUNTED TO THE MONUMENT OR MARKER, OR MUST BE IN METAL OR CONCRETE CONTAINERS.
15. FUNERAL PROCESSIONS SHALL HAVE ABSOLUTE PRIORITY OVER ANY ACTIVITIES WHILE ON CEMETERY GROUNDS. IN THE EVENT OF A FUNERAL, DRIVES MUST BE KEPT CLEAR AND UNOBSTRUCTED FOR THE PROCESSION. WHEN INFORMED BY CEMETERY OFFICIALS TO MOVE VEHICLES, PLEASE DO SO IMMEDIATELY TO AN AREA THAT WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THE FUNERAL PROCESSION.
E 2nd St
Bremen, IN 46506
7:00am to 4:00pm